corn and turkey stuffed bell peppers
prep time: 15 minutes
cook time: 5 hours
ready in: 5 hours 15 minutes
makes: 6 servings, 1/2 pepper each
- 1/2 lb smoked turkey sausage, finely chopped
- 1 whole medium onion, finely chopped
- 11 oz. whole corn kernels, drained
- 2 slices bread, toasted, crusts removed and cubed
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 2 whole medium tomatoes, seeded, peeled, and chopped
- 3 whole red or green bell peppers, cut in half lengthwise and seeded
- In a large bowl, combine turkey sausage, onion, corn, bread, parsley, salt, black pepper, thyme, and tomatoes. Spoon into pepper halves.
- Pour 1/3 cup water into the bottom of a 3½-quart slow cooker, arrange peppers inside the slow-cooker, stacking if necessary.
- Cover and cook on low about 5 hours or until peppers are tender.
per serving: 150 calories, 4.5g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 25mg cholesterol, 510mg sodium, 20g carbohydrates, 3g dietary fiber, 8g sugar, 8g protein
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.