slow cooker stuffed pepper soup
prep time: 15 minutes
cook time: 8 hours
ready in: 8 hours 15 minutes
makes: 6 servings, 2 cups each
- 1 lb ground turkey, 93% lean/7% fat
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 28 oz. can diced tomatoes with juice
- 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups chopped green pepper
- 2/3 cup uncooked rice (white or brown)
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Ground black pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, cook turkey, onion and garlic over medium heat until browned. Drain any juices and transfer mixture to a slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir gently to mix. Cook on low for 8-9 hours, adding more water if necessary.
per serving: 300 calories, 7g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 55mg cholesterol, 540mg sodium, 39g carbohydrates, 5g dietary fiber, 15g sugars, 21g protein
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.