yogurt dipping sauce with roasted root vegetables
prep time: 20 minutes
cook time: 15 minutes
ready in: 35 minutes
makes: X servings, X oz. each
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 3 Tablespoons fresh cilantro (or parsley),roughly chopped
- 2 Tablespoons chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- coarse salt to taste
Yogurt Dipping Sauce
- 1 lb non starchy vegetables (carrots, red onions, garlic cloves, turnips, beets, rutabaga, kohlrabi or celery root)
- 1 lb starchy vegetables (potatoes, yams, parsnips)
- 3 Tablespoons fresh herbs (rosemary, oregano, thyme)
Roasted Root Vegetables
stepsYogurt Dipping Sauce:
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl./li>
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use, up to 1 day.
- Scrub the skins with a brush, but leave them on to retain all the nutrients.
- Cut veggies into chunks of similar size so they cook uniformly. Avoid steaming the vegetables as they cook by spreading them in a single layer on a baking sheet, starchy vegetables on one sheet, non-starchy vegetables on a separate sheet.
- Experiment with herbs for flavor. Use 3 tablespoons of fresh herbs, or use dried herbs to taste.
- Roast, uncovered in a 425°f oven. Start checking for doneness at about 15 minutes then flip the veggies and brown the other side. Total time depends on the size of the vegetable chunks.
Note: Nutrition information is only for the yogurt dipping sauce as it would vary based on which vegetables and herbs you choose to use.
per serving: 20 calories, 1g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 4mg cholesterol, 15mg sodium, 1g carbohydrates, 0g dietary fiber, 1g protein
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.