lemon quinoa with asparagus and feta
prep time: 10 minutes cook time: 45 minutes ready in: 55 minutes makes: 12 servings, 1 cup each
- 2 cups quinoa
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3 lb asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 8 oz feta, crumbled
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Bring 4 cups of water and 1/4 teaspoon salt to a boil in medium saucepan. When the water boils, add quinoa and stir. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook until quinoa has absorbed all the water, 15 –20 minutes. Set aside covered for 10 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. When it's hot, stir in the shallot. Cook, stirring often, until shallot is light brown, 5 –7 minutes.
- Add asparagus and thyme and cook, stirring often, until asparagus is tender but still bright green, 8 –10 minutes (halfway through cooking time, add about a tablespoon of water to steam asparagus).
- When asparagus is done, remove pan from heat. Stir in quinoa, then crumbled feta, lemon juice and remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.