gluten-free curried quinoa
prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 25 minutes
ready in: 35 minutes
makes: 4 servings, 3/4 cup each
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 ½ Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 onion diced (about 4 or 5 oz.)
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
- 1/2 fresh green chile, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 ¾ cups water
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas
- Rinse quinoa with cold water, using a fine mesh filter or coffee filter. If you are using ancient harvest quinoa, skip this step since it’s already rinsed.
- Place oil and diced onions in a heavy saucepan. Sauté onions over medium high heat for 4–5 minutes. Add ginger root, chile, and quinoa. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. A fine, white spiral appears around the grain as it cooks.
- Stir in turmeric, coriander, cinnamon and salt. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add water and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in peas. Cover and cook for 4–5 minutes or until peas are tender and all water has been absorbed.
- Fluff with a fork before serving.
- *If preparing for a gluten-free diet, make sure all ingredients are labeled gluten-free
per serving: 240 calories, 8g fat, 1g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 10mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate, 5g fiber, 2g sugars, 8g protein
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.