couscous stuffed artichokes
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 45 minutes Makes 4 servings, 1 artichoke each
- 4 large artichokes
- 1½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup couscous
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, chopped
- 2 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Cut off artichoke stems and remove small leaves. Place artichokes upright in a large pot and fill with about 3 inches of water. Cover pot and boil for about 30 minutes (artichokes are fully cooked when the base can be easily pierced or the leaves can be easily pulled off). Turn artichokes upside down to drain.
- In a medium saucepan, combine chicken broth, curry, cumin and garlic powder. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in couscous and raisins. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff couscous with a fork.
- Stir in green onions and almonds. Combine lemon juice and olive oil and stir into couscous.
- Gently spread artichoke leaves until center is revealed. Pull out center leaves and scoop out fuzzy center. Fill centers of artichokes with couscous mixture.
Per serving: 400 calories, 14g fat, 2g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 110mg sodium 54g carbohydrate, 8g fiber, 14g protein
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.