brown rice pilaf
prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 25 minutes
ready in: 35 minutes
makes: 10 servings , 4 ounces each
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- Cooking spray
- 2 small carrots, finely diced
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 2 cups instant brown rice
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) reduced sodium, fat-free chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Add canola oil and a generous amount of cooking spray to a medium saucepan. Sauté carrots, celery, mushrooms and almonds for 3–4 minutes or until they begin to soften.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for an additional 15–20 minutes or until rice is tender. Fluff with a fork.
- This recipe is from The Healthy Carb Diabetes Cookbook by Chef Jennifer Bucko & Laura Rondinelli, RD, published by the American Diabetes Association.
- *If preparing for a gluten-free diet, make sure all ingredients are labeled gluten-free
per serving: 170 calories, 4g fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 130mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate, 5g protein
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.