prep time: 15 minutes
cook time: 40 minutes
ready in: 55 minutes
makes: 4 servings, 2 cups each
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans (14.5 oz.) stewed tomatoes, Mexican style
- 1 can (15.5 oz.) red kidney beans, rinsed and well-drained (can substitute no-salt added)
- 1-2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, brown ground round with jalapeno, onion, and garlic over medium high heat.
- Drain fat from pan.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer.
- Stirring occasionally, simmer in a covered container for 20 minutes.
per serving: 380 calories, 14g total fat, 5g saturated fat, 60mg cholesterol, 660mg sodium, 40g carbohydrates, 10g dietary fiber, 25g protein
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.