August 15, 2013
Judi Palmer Stop & Shop New England 617-774-4429 email@example.com
STOP & SHOP ALERTS CUSTOMERS TO VOLUNTARY RECALL OF IAMS PET FOOD VARIETIES
Quincy, MA (August 15, 2013) – The Stop & Shop Supermarket Company LLC, following a recall by The Proctor & Gamble Company, announced it removed from sale several varieties of Iams dry pet food products due to possible contamination by salmonella.
The following products are included in this recall: (please note, lot codes and best-by dates can be found at the top of the bag near the seal)
- Iams Cat Food ProActive Health Chicken Kitten, UPC 19014612628, 3.2 lb. bag with lot codes of 31904177 and 31954177 and best-by dates of 9Nov14 and 14Nov14
- Iams Cat Food ProActive Health Hairball Adult, UPC 19014612420, 5 lb. bag with lot codes of 31874177, 31884177, 31914177, 31934177 and 31954177 and best-by dates of 6Nov14, 7Nov14, 10Nov14, 12Nov14 and 14Nov14
- Iams Cat Food ProActive Health Hairball Adult, UPC 19014700219, 3.1 lb. bag with lot codes of 31884177, 31914177 and 31954177 and best-by dates of 7Nov14, 10Nov14 and 14Nov14
- Iams Cat Food ProActive Health Weight Control & Hairball Adult, UPC 19014700257, 2.9 lb. bag with a lot code of 31954177 and a best-by date of 14Nov14
- Iams Cat Food ProActive Health Weight Control & Hairball Adult, UPC 19014700240, 2.9 lb. bag with lot codes of 31914177, 31924177, 31934177 and 31944177 and best-by dates of 10Nov14, 11Nov14, 12Nov14 and 13Nov14
- Iams Cat Food ProActive Health Chicken Adult, UPC 19014612086, 10.8 lb. bag with lot codes of 31864177, 31904177, 31914177, 31924177 and 31944177 and best-by dates of 5Nov14, 9Nov14, 10Nov14, 11Nov14 and 13Nov14
- Iams Cat Food ProActive Health Chicken Adult, UPC 19014612499, 5.7 lb. bag with lot codes of 31864177, 31914177, 31924177 and 31944177 and best-by dates of 5Nov14, 10Nov14, 11Nov14 and 13Nov14
- Iams Cat Food ProActive Health Weight Control Adult, UPC 19014612680, 5 lb. bag with lot codes of 31874177 and 31934177 and best-by dates of 6Nov14 and 12Nov14
- Iams Dog Food Healthy Naturals Chicken Adult, UPC 19014612017, 13.3 lb. bag with lot codes of 31884177, 31904177, 31924177, 31934177 and 31944177 and best-by dates of 7Nov14, 9Nov14, 11Nov14, 12Nov14 and 13Nov14
- Iams Dog Food Healthy Naturals Chicken Adult, UPC 19014612635, 5 lb. bag with lot codes of 31904177 and 31914177 and best-by dates of 9Nov14 and 10Nov14
- Iams Dog Food ProActive Health Small Breed Adult, UPC 19014612055, 5 lb. bag with lot codes of 31874177, 31894177 and 31924177 and best-by dates of 6Nov14, 8Nov14 and 11Nov14
Stop & Shop has received no reports of illnesses to date. Customers who have purchased these products should discard any unused portions and bring their purchase receipt to Stop & Shop for a full refund.
Salmonella can cause salmonellosis, one of the most common bacterial foodborne illnesses. Salmonella infections can be life-threatening, especially to those with weak immune systems, such as infants, the elderly and persons with HIV infection or undergoing chemotherapy. The most common manifestations of salmonellosis are diarrhea, abdominal cramps, and fever within eight to 72 hours. Additional symptoms may be chills, headache, nausea and vomiting that can last up to seven days. Pets with Salmonella infections may be lethargic and have diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever, and vomiting. Some pets will have only decreased appetite, fever and abdominal pain. Infected but otherwise healthy pets can be carriers and infect other animals or humans. If your pet has consumed the recalled products and exhibits any of these symptoms, please contact your veterinarian.
Consumers looking for additional information on the recall may call Proctor & Gamble at 800-208-0172. In addition customers may call Stop & Shop at 1-800-767-7772 for more information. Customers can also visit the Stop & Shop website at www.stopandshop.com.
About Stop & Shop
The Stop & Shop Supermarket Company LLC employs approximately 60,000 associates and operates 400 stores throughout Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York, and New Jersey. The company helps support local communities fight hunger, combat childhood cancer and promote general health and wellness - with emphasis on children's educational and support programs. In its commitment to be a sustainable company, Stop & Shop is a member of the U.S. Green Building Council and EPA's Smart Way program; has been awarded LEED (EB) certifications for 54 of its existing stores; and has been recognized by the EPA for the superior energy management of its stores. Stop & Shop is an Ahold company. To learn more about Stop & Shop, visit www.stopandshop.com and www.facebook.com/stopandshop.