July 10, 2012
Stop & Shop New England
Stop & Shop Sets July 27 Opening Date For Its New Hyannis, Mass. Store
Replacement Store Boasts Expanded Offerings and Innovative Features to Better Serve Barnstable County
(QUINCY, Mass.,) July 10, 2012 - The Stop & Shop Supermarket Company LLC announced today it will open its doors at 6 a.m., July 27, to a new Hyannis, Mass., store at 1220 Iyannough Rd. The new 65,000 square-foot store will replace the Stop & Shop just a quarter of a mile away on Independence Rd. in Hyannis.
The new location will enable Stop & Shop to provide Cape Cod residents and vacationers with an expanded selection of food offerings including a full-service meat department and more selections in deli, fresh produce and natural and organic goods.
The new store also incorporates innovative features with the latest in sustainability related to energy, recycling and water consumption, and also the first of its kind grocery mobile app, SCAN IT! Mobile. The mobile app will allow customers at the new store to use their personal mobile device to shop, scan, and tally their groceries while they shop. The app is available to iPhone® 3GS, 4G, 4S, and many Android™ users.
"With each new store we open, we work to improve the overall shopping experience for the customer," said Joe Kelley, president, Stop & Shop New England Division. "We're happy to provide the residents of the Hyannis area with an updated store that offers more options in the areas that are important to them like fresh produce, seafood, and meat. And we look forward to continuing our partnerships with local hunger relief organizations, schools and other community organizations as we further our commitment to Hyannis."
In addition, the new store also brings new job opportunities to Hyannis by employing approximately 325 associates a significant increase from its current store which employs approximately 200 people.
New Store Offerings
The new Hyannis store will offer a variety of innovative solutions and ongoing savings to make shopping both easier and affordable, including: Advanced Technology
- SCAN IT! hand held devices will be available to allow customers to scan and bag groceries while they shop.
- SCAN IT! Mobile which lets customers use their personal mobile device to shop, scan, and tally their groceries while they shop. The app is available to iPhone® 3GS, 4G, 4S, and many Android™ users.
Savings in Store & Beyond
- Weekly Specials! and Real Deals! (items on sale for several weeks) can be identified in store and in the circular.
- Expanded selection of Stop & Shop's Own Brands products for additional quality, variety, and everyday value.
- Stop & Shop Gas Rewards. Each dollar spent shopping with the Stop & Shop card earns a point. Every 100 points saves 10 cents per gallon at the pump. Redeeming points is easy - Gas Rewards points are accepted at all Stop & Shop gas stations and at participating Shell fuel stations. The nearest Stop & Shop gas station is located at 125 West Main St., Hyannis, Mass., 2.3 miles away.
- Stop & Shop's program to support local schools, A+ School Rewards, is free and easy for customers to help the school of their choice receive funding every year. Visit stopandshop.com for details.
Environmentally Friendly Building
The new store, which will be LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certified, is anticipated to use up to 20 percent less energy than a typical grocery store of this size. It was built with an extensive range of energy efficient features:
- White roof to reflect the sun light and reduce the heat gains in the store, requiring less energy for space cooling.
- Skylights to harvest day light and dim energy-efficient fluorescent lights to reduce the electricity consumption during peak daylight hours by an average of 2.5 percent.
- LED lighting in overhead track lights, spotlights on specialty areas & displays, exterior store signs and in the frozen food cases which uses half the wattage of traditional incandescent lighting.
- Low air return in frozen aisles which makes the store environment more comfortable for shoppers.
- ECM (electronically commutated motor) motors in the refrigerated fixtures and walk-in coolers that deliver uniform airflow while using 33 percent less electricity.
- Low mercury, energy-efficient, fluorescent light fixtures throughout the store with occupancy sensors in the storage areas and offices.
- An Energy Management System to monitor the performance of the lighting, refrigeration, and HVAC systems.
- Low flow fixtures in the bathrooms and prep areas to reduce water consumption by over 35 percent.
- Low VOC (volatile organic compounds) paints, adhesives and sealants to ensure proper air quality.
- Green cleaning methods used with non-toxic materials for better indoor air quality.
- Water efficient landscaping.
The new Hyannis Stop & Shop located at 1220 Iyannough Rd., will be open 6 a.m. - Midnight Grand Opening Day, July 27. Regular store hours are 6 a.m. - Midnight Monday through Saturday and 6 a.m. - 10 p.m. Sunday. The store located on Independence Rd. will close at 6 p.m., July 26.
For additional store details, information about in-store offerings and savings or Stop & Shop's community partnerships, visit www.stopandshop.com.
About Stop & Shop
The Stop & Shop Supermarket Company LLC employs approximately 60,000 associates and operates 400 stores throughout Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York, and New Jersey. The company helps support local communities fight hunger, combat childhood cancer and promote general health and wellness - with emphasis on children's educational and support programs. In its commitment to be a sustainable company, Stop & Shop is a member of the U.S. Green Building Council and EPA's Smart Way program; has been awarded LEED (EB) certifications for 54 of its existing stores; and has been recognized by the EPA for the superior energy management of its stores. Stop & Shop is an Ahold company. To learn more about Stop & Shop, visit www.stopandshop.com and www.facebook.com/stopandshop.