Recycling and Environment
Taking giant steps to protect the environment.
Plastic Bag Recycling Program
We accept #02 and #04 plastic shopping bags, dry cleaning bags and newspaper bags. We send them, plus all of our shrink wrap from stores, to our plastics recycling company AERT (Advanced Environmental Recycling Technologies Inc.). The plastic becomes composite decking (ChoiceDek at Lowe's). We have collected millions of pounds of bags for recycling.
Partnering with Customers
All Stop & Shop stores sell reusable bags for $.99 and insulated bags for $1.99. When you shop with reusable bags you're contributing to a greener earth. Did you know just one reusable bag can keep up to 375 plastic bags out of landfills over its lifetime? Check out our tips for remembering to use reusable bags.
Our drivers, trained in methods that reduce fuel usage and CO2 output, have successfully increased fuel economy. We're also working with the EPA and freight industry to improve energy efficiency and reduce greenhouse gases and air pollution through the EPA Smart Way Transport Partnership.
Building Sustainable Stores
Green store pilot program
In 2007, we were the only supermarket chain selected by the U.S. Green Building Council (which develops and administers the nationally accepted LEED-EB standard for green buildings) to participate in a program for retailers integrating "green" technology into existing buildings.
- Green Products — We offer a variety of "green" household and cleaning products in our stores.
- Star Power! — Stop & Shop was named an ENERGY STAR LEADER in 2007 by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as a result of our success in improving energy performance across our buildings.
- Energy Efficient Attributes — We were recognized for energy-efficient day lighting, T5 florescent lighting systems, automatic occupancy sensors, and refrigeration systems with high-efficiency fan motors.
- Greenhouse Gas — Energy use in refrigeration and food storage is necessary to provide safe, fresh quality food, so we've been working to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in our stores, distribution centers and transport.
- Energy Saving Innovations — Newer stores are designed with reflective roofs, which reduce heat absorption and use less air conditioning in the summer, and special dimming systems that dim lights based on the amount of daylight harvested. Learn more about store innovation.
- Partners in Power — We partnered with energy solutions developer EnerNOC, Inc., to help reduce stress on the electric power grid during high peak demand to help reduce power consumption and prevent blackouts.